For youth in grades 7th-12th grades (September-May)
NEW FOR 2018/2019: Youth & Government Information Brochure
DAY/TIME: Meetings held every Monday evening during the school year at the Butler YMCA from 6:00pm-8:00pm
FEE: See brochure above for pricing details
*Fee does not include transportation costs to attend events
In YMCA Youth and Government, students identify social issues and problems and select those they wish to resolve by writing legislative bills. This creates the major content of club program and leads into a process of research and debate. It also makes it necessary for students to examine many of their values, beliefs and attitudes while confronting the practical demands of freedom. On the state level, students conduct election conventions and mock sessions as steps leading to a Model Legislature and Administration Convention in Harrisburg, PA. Each spring, they literally take over the State Capitol for three days and conduct a model government. Here, their bills and leadership skills meet the test, and they confront the reality of the legislative process. Bills passed into law are shared with those who make the real laws and govern our Commonwealth.
It is the purpose of the Pennsylvania YMCA Youth and Government Program to promote:
• an awareness of state issues and social problems.
• the exploration and interchange of student ideas relative to the solution of state issues and social problems.
• the understanding of democratic processes through active involvement in the complete legislative process.
• the development of leadership skills.
• an interaction among high school students and adults from varying backgrounds around common concerns.
• an avenue of communication between students and those persons and groups in the Pennsylvania State Government.
• an opportunity for personal growth.
For more information or if you have questions, please contact Allison Seezox, Youth Development Coordinator, at the YMCA at 724-287-4733 x126.
Links for Current Youth and Government Members:
|2018-2019 Butler YMCA Youth & Government Schedule|
|PA Youth and Government Website|